Welcome to Otaku Paradise

Interested in joining us?

By registering, you can join the ultimate haven for anime and manga enthusiasts! Whether you're a seasoned otaku or just taking your first steps into the captivating world of Japanese animation and comics, you've found your new online home.

Introduction + Question about the Skypiea arc.

Z209

Hello :)

I’m Z209, nice to meet you all.

This is going to be somewhat of a long post, so please forgive me for any inconvenience but I want to be completely honest with you.
Also I thought it was better to post an introduction about myself and the topic to in the same post to avoid wasting everyone’s time. And I apologize if this is the wrong section for this post, for posting this but the One Piece discussion thread hasn't had any activity at all.

first, please allow me to tell you a little about myself. I’ve been watching anime since the early 90s, and my favorite animes Detective Conan, Naruto, Hajime No Ippo, Slam Dunk, and Gintama. I enjoy movies, video games, and board games too. Now, I will get to the topic of this post:

I asked this question on a lot of forums, in fact if you search for this question on google chances are the poster is me. And every time I get an answer something happens that takes me back to square one, either some of the replies are are not a direct answer or some would reply with a troll or a joke, or I find something on a game or on social media that counter argues the answers I get and takes me back to where I started.

And this question is the main reasons why I joined this forum. And I'm not doing this because of any malicious intent, I genuinely don't know the answer. So I decided to ask the question one more time here and on a number of forums that I recently found.

My question is about the One Piece anime, please note that I do not read the manga, and its this:

In the Skypiea arc in the One Piece anime series, Enel, who is the main antagonist of that arc, says he's "god", is that true?

And if so, does he mean he’s A god, like Thor from the Marvel comic book franchise or does he mean he’s THE God, the one one that Muslims and Christians pray to?

And did any of the Straw Hat Pirates believed him?

Hey there, I appreciate the well thought out post and I'm going to take a stab at this.

From what I know, the term "God" is lightly used in the One Piece series and from what I've gathered, it's just a mere title for the ruling body of the sky islands and oceans within Skypiea. Enel is definitely regarded as a narcissist in my book. I think Gan Fall (who was also a "God" of Skypiea, mentions this to Enel, "Do not be conceited Enel! The name "God" is merely a title for the leader of this country!".

My reasons that I don't think he's a god are these:
Mortality: Despite his enormous amount of power, he's still mortal.
Origin: He's a human who gained his power via devil fruit.
Defeat: He was defeated by Luffy who was immune to lightening thanks to his own devil fruit, but regardless, I see someone who garners themself as a god as "immortal".

The second question that you bring up though is if he's a god like Thor from the Marvel universe, or if he's "THE" God..
The first part could be an interest twist on it because I feel like that's somewhat relative which leads to a possibility I suppose. The second part of the question isn't a possibility in my opinion.

The third question that you bring up is also somewhat relative. I don't think any of the Straw Hats believed that he was an actual god, but I don't think any of them at that time would be able to defeat him aside from Luffy due to him being invulnerable to his lightening.

Excellent discussion topic. I'd probably try to go more in depth but ultimately I think that this is relative to ones opinion and in MY own personal opinion, no. He's not a god. It's kind of where someone may not believe in God in real life.

Also, I know that you mentioned that you haven't read the manga, but I think it'd serve you well in this regard. There may have been some dialog left out that may help you garner your own decision on the matter. :)

Sorry for the late reply, I had some personal issues that I had to finish but they took a while to sort out.
Thanks for all of your help, I got the answer now so the mods can close this thread.

He isn't, it's a self-titled diploma to impose his way on skypieans. He obviously is human that ate a Devil Fruit that can handle lightning and while they're basically in the sky, it's a "cliche" "god".

And obviously lost to Luffy because he's a rubber man lol.

Back