Best controversial ending?

AOT, Naruto, Death Note, Promised Neverland are examples of anime that have controversial endings, but which one did you actually like? Is there a specific anime that you would recommend (please put spoiler tags) even though the ending was controversial to most people?

I'd have to say Death Note.
The ending was actually decent even though a lot people hated it. The story of Light finally being defeated. His dramatic walk away from the conflict even though he knew it was over.. Truly a masterpiece.

Since Code Geass is already spoken of, I’d say Monogatari. I personally like to think of Owari Season 2 as the ending of the main story instead of Zoku Owari because I think Owari 2 wraps everything up really well and Zoku almost just feels like extra to me.

Code Geass still has the best controversial ending I can think of. It's the epitome of a bittersweet ending.
Lelouch making himself the villain after finally overthrowing his father was something I was not expecting. Then having his best friend take up his role as Zero and ACTUALLY assassinate him in order to unify Brittania and Japan like he always wanted was such a painful moment. But the best part is that the show left the end up to interpretation. Was it real or was it just his Geass? Either way, such a great ending to a great anime.

For me, it's going to be Clannad that's the anime with best controversial ending. This anime have one of saddest scenes with so many gutwrenching deaths which the fans are yet to get over. But in the end, all the sad moments in the anime were retconned and replaced with an unexpected happy ending.

I'd have to say Death Note.
The ending was actually decent even though a lot people hated it. The story of Light finally being defeated. His dramatic walk away from the conflict even though he knew it was over.. Truly a masterpiece.
omg i love the death note ending. makes me bawl tbh, it's so good

Lelouch making himself the villain after finally overthrowing his father was something I was not expecting. Then having his best friend take up his role as Zero and ACTUALLY assassinate him in order to unify Brittania and Japan like he always wanted was such a painful moment. But the best part is that the show left the end up to interpretation. Was it real or was it just his Geass? Either way, such a great ending to a great anime.
With the way he's linking himself to being sucidial was a thing for me in the show. Lelouch is essentially the best leader in the show by a long mile. I can't think of anyone better than him.